Saturday, June 21, 2008

Curriculum Connection Week #3

I feel that internet safety is an issue that needs to be discussed more with children.  My 5th grade students were always talking about "myspace."  This is a dangerous site I think for children.  They could give out personal information to someone who is a different person then they think they are.  I do stress safety to my students about this but they are using the website at home so parents need to be aware also.

Plagiarism is another issue you hear more about.  The internet has wonderful resources for students to refer to for information.  I have seen a lot of sites that can check your work for plagiarism for students use and also for instructors use.  

2 comments:

Ann said...

Not only the safety and plagiarism but also the web identity that they create over time. As one human resources person said to me this year, what is cute/fun at 20 can cost you a job at 30. They don't understand that companies now routinely check for web identity and if your web identity doesn't meet the way the company wants to present itself, you may not get the job even if you have the skills.

Ann

hiker said...

I agree that students need to learn about internet safety. I took a 3 day workshop from Linda Criddle and she's got a great website. http://look-both-ways.com/
check it out....